Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sunday creation: PIZZA

Once again, I am writing about food. It is consuming our lives. Having John home at 0800 every morning means we have the opportunity to cook three meals together. Needless to say, our dishwasher has been working overtime. Some days we do have to take a cooking break and catch up on the left overs that are overtaking our fridge. In Virginia, we rarely were able to prepare dinner together (let alone breakfast and lunch). But here in P-Cola, we are putting out some amazing dishes in this Lynch kitchen (not that I didn't alone ... it's just more fun with John). John and I have very different cooking styles, he can throw anything in a pot (do some magical wand twisting) and it turns out amazing. I am much more cautious. I love to cook, but am not yet at a place where I can just grab out of my fridge and pantry and make something worthwhile. unless it's pizza.

We are pizza peeps. Love pizza. Could eat it everyday and seek out the best of the best whenever we are. We did find the best in the D.C. area (which I have already mentioned in a previous post) and have our favorite take out pizza and a favorite frozen brand even! But nothing compares to the masterpieces we create ourselves. We have dubbed Sunday pizza day, whether that's making a new creation or trying a new pizza joint.

So with all that said, I have to share our most recent Sunday creation. The idea for the pizza is partially from a picture I saw of a pear flat bread. From there I thought of what bold cheeses would go best with pears and what meat compliments those cheeses. And here is what we came up with ...
A pear, lean sausage, blue cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, sage and honey pizza with an aioli sauce. YUM.

You will need:
  • Pizza dough [We did not make our own dough this time (though I do have a great, simple recipe) we used a Boboli crust, which I would recommend unless you are making your own.]
  • An aioli sauce [it's a garlic sauce: we used garlic (doy), two types of oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper then used a blender till it became a mayo consistency...just looked it up online]
  • One pear, thinly sliced (peel on or off) 
  • Lean or turkey sausage, about 3/4 lb
  • Blue cheese, 3-4oz crumbled
  • White sharp cheddar cheese, shaved (roughly 5oz)
  • Sage, teaspoon (we only had dried, and that worked great) 
  • Honey, about a full tablespoon
The assembly (in order):

Aioli sauce, sharp cheddar cheese, pear slices, sausage, blue cheese, sage, then drizzle the honey on the top. Bake at 425 (either on a preheated stone or directly on rack) for 12-15 minutes. Indulge.

yum. yum. yum.
I didn't take pictures of the assembly because I didn't know how it would turn out, and I didn't take pictures of the final product because it turned out so good that it was gone in a matter of minutes. Pizza doesn't last long in this house, have I mentioned how much we love pizza?

Food has been our excitement lately. From grilled pineapple to turkey burgers that make you drool. And peanut butter cookies that are way too easy to make...and eat. But let me try and update you on something other than food.
  • John is still getting home early everyday (0807 was a record last week!) and we are enjoying our days together. Little P90, making lunch, some shopping online, some shopping in stores, movie, maybe a nap, trip to the beach, trip to base, mowing the grass, hanging up pictures, test driving cars, homework, playing with Belleau, ahhhh. I love flight school so far ;)
  • Belleau is growing up and still enjoying our toes a little too much. She comes and tells us she has to go out now for potty time. Such a big girl. And is an amazing swimmer! She experienced her first swim Saturday, we were amazed. She swims with ease. Adorable. She also ate one of her bones ... a plastic one. She ate about an inch of it, and we are really hoping she can "pass" it if you catch my drift. Poor baby.
  • I should hear back about a job next week. And also applied for three others in another district. Fingers crossed.
  • We are heading to the beach in a couple hours. 
  • Our hammock is up! And lovely, and comfy, and perfect.

3 comments:

  1. You are so good at blogging Tenish .... creative and interesting and colourful. Big big hugs to you and John. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pizza sounds amazing! You should cook pizzas on the grill sometime. Adds a delicious smoky flavor to everything (I had one with bbq sauce, pineapple, and sharp cheddar)
    Also, please post more pictures of Belleau :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tami! We miss you guys and talk about you often! Hello to all.

    Alissa, we have made a few pizza's on the grill! Amazing. We use our hickory chips when we do. yum. Do you guys use a stone or just directly on?

    ReplyDelete