Friday, July 22, 2011

Meatless Monday's and John flying!

I'll get to the food portion, but first let's talk about John ... who has been FLYING for the last week!! He flies almost daily and is still home at a decent time (1400 ish). He has had some awesome landings. In his words, "It's exciting. It's fun. It's challenging." On Wednesday I heard a plane that sounded low, so I jumped out of my seat and went out back with Belleau to check it out. Sadly, I couldn't see it through the trees, but about two minutes after I came back in, I received a text from John that said, "Hey look North, I just waved." How cool is that? He really is loving it.

I wish I were learning to fly ... I am still jobless. I had an interview that went very well yesterday, but got the call that I didn't get it. I personally saw eight other people that were interviewing for the same position. Talk about competition. Surprisingly, I don't feel so bummed today. It's in God's hand and I'll leave it at that for now. To keep busy (when I'm not doing homework) I have been making cards rather religiously, which I thoroughly enjoy. If anyone has a need for some cards, let me know.

Belleau is getting so big, so fast. She has had multiple play dates with other dogs and she is just the friendliest thing you'll ever see. She played with a puppy Golden Retriever last week, and completely crashed after the puppy left ... I'm talking slept 14 hours! She is a riot. Her latest best friend is a French Bulldog, Meya. She copies everything Meya does ... while they run around at the beach. And she LOVES the ocean ... even with the waves crashing in. It's so adorable. Then she is absolutely pooped afterward, which we love. Belleau (or Bells, Belly, Bell, Belsa) is sleeping till 0700 every morning! It's been great. Such a big girl, and still no accidents in the house or crate.
Just noticed her update is getting to be the longest ... guess that goes to show who gets the most attention around here.
On to food:

Last Monday, John and I had our first "meatless Monday"... meaning I made dinner without meat. Ha. This NEVER happens (we even add meat to frozen veggie pizzas), but I thought I'd try it once and see how it went over (great way to cut down the grocery bill a little). It went great! We had Greek spinach feta burgers. They were SO yummy. And meat eating John agrees completely. The leftovers were fought over.
We will probably have the exact same thing for the next "meatless Monday".
The full recipe can be found on this blog, but I'll give a quick run down here.

For the burgers you need: 
1/4 olive oil
1 clove garlic minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 cup herb stuffing mix
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1-10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
salt and pepper

Combine everything and form into four patties, heat a skilled to medium high heat, spray with cooking spray and cook the burgers for 4-5 minutes per side. The outside should get crispy and brown.


for the simple tzatziki sauce you need:
1 small container non fat greek yogurt
1 small cucumber chopped finely
1 minced garlic clove
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
salt and pepper

To make the sauce, add everything together in bowl and stir. Set in fridge to chill.

to assemble the burgers you need:
4 whole wheat hamburger buns ... toast them!
red pepper ... don't skip this, it's a must!
red onion. sliced thinly
tomato slices
extra feta crumbles


and you get ...



1 comment:

  1. The meatless burgers look so good that we are sure to try them. Belleau is adorable and growing. Did she like the burgers? haha Nish,have you thought about selling your personalized cards at Soho? Looks like a business in the making! Great to see you flying John. Looking forward to visiting some day. Want to meet in Colorado in September? Love you <3

    ReplyDelete