Wednesday, March 23, 2011

laundry soap

Since moving to Virginia in October I have been planning to make my own laundry detergent. Then in December I finally started purchasing the little supplies that it takes. Then in February I had everything I needed. And finally in March, I ran out of my store bought detergent and had no other reason not to make it. So I did. And it is wonderful. Smells like tea tree oil and is going to last us forever.
The process is quite simple. You will need: Washing Soda (not baking soda and it's a little hard to find. I ordered it online ... still quite cheap), Borax (find it just about anywhere, in the cleaning section of the store), and a bar of soap (any will do, but try something all natural with not much "perfume" in it ... I used an all natural bar with tea tree oil). 
Steps ... I'll use my measurements, but just make sure you use the same proportions when you make the amount you desire.
1. Use a grater of your choice to grate two bars of soap (should come out to be roughly 4 cups)
2. Mix in 2 cups of Washing Soda and 2 cups of Borax.
3. Stir together, and store in an airtight container.
-only use 2 tablespoons per load

It is quite easy and goes such a long ways. We go through a lot of detergent, especially when John comes home from the field and makes our washing machine look like this ...
Oh the joys!

In other news: Little Brettsy (Brett) is here this week. Got in Saturday and leaves tomorrow. It's been so fun having a visitor! We've done a lot of eating, and just went shopping yesterday at the Outlet mall. Friday my Vandament grandparents come for the weekend, hoping to do some DC sight seeing! Then the next week Brook will be here! So so fun.

Graduation is right around the corner! Can hardly believe March is just about over! Our time here is coming to a close. It's bitter sweet. I am thrilled about the next leg of our journey, but sad to leave all of my wonderful friends. Good thing the "Marine Corps is small."
Oh, a few other happy notes I almost forgot to mention,
1. John got off EARLY last Friday (1400) and we had a wonderful afternoon/evening together. That one day felt like a vacation. We went on a hike (in 77 degree weather!) after a motorcycle drive through a beautiful area and found a cute little bridge, ate some sushi, watched a movie. Man, I just love hanging out with that husband of mine. Hoping for more of these days.
2. We received our Girl Scout cookies!! (Thank you, Parr girls!) John is yet to know this (he is out in the field yet again today ... but just for one day ... and this will make his day when he is back).
That is all for now. Look for a post on the wonderful comments I get while subbing. Freshman are just as funny as Kindergarteners.

3 comments:

  1. Oh forgot to mention, with the laundry soap ... you can make a liquid soap that is just as easy. You just add some boiling water, but the measurements are a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the laundry soap nish, it never occurred to me that you can make your own soap. Of course you can! What can't you make, right??! So thankful you posted this. Wonderful in so many ways-can't wait to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see you two. May will be here before you know it. Happy Graduation!!

    ReplyDelete