Sorry, folks, I am a little behind on the blogging. There is no good excuse for it. I would like to blame subbing and our wonderful visits from family and friends, but I don't feel right blaming. Instead, I will play catch up. Let's go back to after Brett left...my Vandament grandparents came in on Friday, and we had so much fun with them! Not every granddaughter has the privilege of hosting her grandparents. We showed off our DC sites and ate lots of terrific food.
They left Monday, the same Monday that John had to pull an all-nighter for “duty.” I dropped him off at work Monday around 0630, and then brought him food at 2000 (Brook, you should know military time by now). Then the poor guy had to stay up all night (after a long day of work) and then had a full day of work the next day. He is so amazing. AND on that Tuesday, on my way to pick him up I received a wonderful surprise call from my sisinlaw. Ash and Wes were in DC! They needed a place to stay and we were THRILLED beyond words to have them as house guests (even if it was just for dinner and a place to sleep for a few hours). John took a two-hour nap before they arrived, we went out to dinner and caught up. Nothing like it and sad there is not a picture to document it.
The rest of last week was not too bad as far as John getting home at a decent hour. He had one “late night” and even that wasn’t too bad.
Now, last weekend FLEW by. Just glad we were together…before this last FEX. This last FEX has been one of the best thanks to Brook (she got in LATE Monday and left this morning)! Some highlights from the week (after sending John off with a hundred kisses for the week):
The wives had a successful grill out! At first we were in need of those husbands, but we pushed through and had some wonderful hotdogs.
| Sorry, girls. This one is a favorite ;) |
Brook and I walked about eight miles exploring DC. I think I gave her quite the complete tour, ending it with matching blisters on our feet and the best pizza in Alexandria (cannot wait to take John).
Thursday (today!) we had a second book club meeting with the wonderful author of The Homefront Club. And now I am home, alone, watching Stomp the Yard hoping that my FEX enemy sleep will show up soon. I really thought having Brook here would make sleeping easier. And although she made the days and evenings fly by, I still could not sleep. I need that snoring John next to me. One more night, one more night, one more night, one more night …

No comments:
Post a Comment