Monday, April 18, 2011

whoopsie.


It's story time. A non-fiction, though I wish it were all a dream. About two-three months ago our wonderful Volvo started having a major issue … it wouldn’t reverse. The block (it’s a manual) would come up and stay up. I cannot describe in words how frustrating it was when the reverse decided not to work. Once, after teaching at the high school, I came out to my car on a beautiful sunny day and my car was stuck. I waited and waited for other teachers to walk out and give me a push. So embarrassing. Two weeks ago, I once again didn’t have reverse and had to use all my little might to push MYSELF out of a spot, in heels. Finding a spot I can “roll out of” or pull through has become my expertise over the last few months, but sometimes there is just no such spot in the lot. Just last week, I went to watch John grapple and pulled into a parking lot on base that I had never been into before and once in, was stuck. There were no spots open and nowhere to turn around. So I didn’t watch John grapple, but instead waited for him to come push me the 100 feet out of the parking lot. That was the last straw. I was done, so John called the local Volvo dealership and made us an appointment.  

I took the car in Friday, waited two hours, and then my jaw dropped. The manager came into the waiting room and asked me to follow him out to the garage. My thoughts: “ah crap, this is going to be expensive. Why do they want to show me? I know nothing about cars. I need John here.” But I followed regardless, and walked out to meet the mechanic who was working on the car. He had a huge grin on his face and asked me to come in on the driver’s side and take a look. I obeyed and he said, “I believe this is the cause behind your problem” and GUESS WHAT he showed me…

 A HERSHEY’S BAR! (Special Dark, of course).

So … the chocolate had fallen down (was opened) and had melted all over the electrically pieces that make up the gear shifter. It was my chocolate, no doubt there. They say it needs replaced because it has been ruined but the piece is expensive AND on back order (could be 10 days to 3 months). So I said I’d have my husband call, and they pulled my car around for me and guess what was sitting so nicely on the seat? Oh, the Hershey’s bar wrapper.
the culprit
We spent our rainy Saturday attempting to clean up the chocolate in hopes that it just needs cleaned and not replaced. (Cleaning supplies = vacuum, tape, screw driver to scrap it, blow dryer). I can tell you that the reverse did go out yesterday. Ugh. But now is working again? It seems to be working more than not … but it’s only been two days. Just say a prayer that the chocolate disappears, or that the piece comes in and we can replace it before we move. I love dark chocolate, but I may give it up permanently if we do have to replace the piece.
Let's end on a better note ... we had a wonderful Sunday. Spent at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg (for free!) with great friends. I sure do love roller coasters. Only had to wait about 25 minutes for each ride and the weather was perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment