Oh, this weekend! Where to even start? Mom, dad, Troy and Tori got in Wednesday around 2100 and that is not even when the fun started! John was off at 1200 (that is when the fun started) and we did lots of running around to prepare for their arrival ... ya know, last minute things like finding and buying a baster and placemats. Not a lot happened Wednesday once they arrived (other than the exchanging of plans, excitement and hugs).
Thursday, wow. Let's first say, I thoroughly enjoyed hosting Thanksgiving and would gladly volunteer again. Sadly, I do not have photos of all of the side dishes. But I am good at lists. Our menu: Creamy mashed potatoes (with one sweet potato for added sweetness), sweet potatoes with pecans and parmesan, green beans with bacon and mustard vinaigrette, whole wheat rolls, grandma Olga's mac-n-cheese with creamed corn, homemade cranberry sauce (John's doing, and soooo good), stuffing with jalapeno's and cheddar, and of course, the turkey. I only stuffed the turkey, John grilled it, and my dad carved it (along with John). Mom just helped on just about every side dish!
Such a great lunch. And pies to follow. After the turkey wore off, we headed to the Marine Corps Museum. It sure is nice! We walked around for quite awhile, got lost several times, and learned a lot!
The following day (or shall I say BLACK Friday!) was quite eventful. We stayed up and got to the mall right at midnight to be the first to grab all of the deals. We made out like bandits, after 4.5 HOURS in the mall!! It was by far thee most intense Black Friday I have ever experienced, and I have experienced one every year since I was 12. We shopped till we were literally dropping (as was everyone else at the mall, quite funny to walk around and see random groups of people sitting up against walls at 0330 half asleep IN THE MALL). Needless to say, we came home to great naps (or sleep?) after all of our deal findings. The rest of Friday was a blast. We again went out to shop (this time we left John and Troy sleeping, but Dad came!). Just did a quick one. Then the Husker game of course. Then for a third time, mom, Tori, and I went shopping. Most shopping ever in a single day, insane. We made three homemade pizza's that were delicious and played "Fish Bowl" and we all laughed till our stomachs hurt (mainly at John and Mom). Sadly, the boys took the win. [Tori has great video of the game on her Facebook page]
Saturday was tourism day. Arlington Cemetery, White House, Three of the Smithsonian Museums, Lincoln Monument, Washington Monument, Holocaust Museum, Ben's Chili Bowl (restaurant that was featured on TV and we now know why) and then the big DC mall. Quite the day, as Tori put it " 10 hours on my feet. ouch. but sooo much funnnn!" [she has great pictures on her facebook!]
Sad to see them leave Sunday after church, but good knowing John and I will be back in the midwest in three short weeks! My next post will probably be about all of the laundry I have to catch up on ... :)



No comments:
Post a Comment